Sunday, January 15, 2017

Undocumental

I just want to warmly welcome to the blogosphere Undocumental, written by my friend Joel Sati. Joel is an undocumented immigrant from Kenya (he's open about this and it is a central theme of his writing and activism, hence why I share it), residing in America since age 9.

As it happens, Joel also went to high school only a few miles away from me in Montgomery County, Maryland. He graduated from Montgomery College (he attended after finding out -- in the midst of senior year college applications -- that he was undocumented and therefore many of the higher education options available to his classmates were closed to him) and the City College of New York. Joel is currently a PhD student in Jurisprudence and Social Policy here at UC-Berkeley, which is where we met, and I am privileged to call him a friend and colleague.

Welcome!

No comments: