Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Amnesty Rejects Resolution To Combat Anti-Semitism

A proposed resolution asking Amnesty International UK to confront rising anti-Semitism Failed on a 461-468 vote. It was the only proposed resolution at the Amnesty conference that was not passed. You can read the text of the proposed resolution here, suffice to say it does not appear remotely controversial. Well, except for the part where opposing anti-Semitism is inherently controversial. Even in the private sphere, Jews still lose.

Still, I have to say that a part of me is shocked by this outcome. A resolution demanding action on anti-Semitism before a human rights group in the UK ... and it only failed by seven votes? Frankly, that's far better than I had any right to expect.

My friend Yair Rosenberg suggests that "It's going to be hard for Amnesty International to claim to stand for universal human rights after this." Oh, I'm sure they'll manage somehow.

No comments: