Thursday, February 21, 2013

Today's Reading Assingment

Jonathan Zasloff, Left and Right in the Middle East: Notes on the Social Construction of Race, 47 Va. J. Int'l L. 201 (2006). It is one of the first academic examples I've seen which compares Israel and its identity as a "Jewish state" to the American affirmative action debate, and accurately notes that there is an inversion of the normal left/right split on the question. He also makes an intriguing parallel between the Palestinian "right of return" and the American debate over property rights and "takings", again noting that the rightward position would seem to favor Palestinians and the leftward one Israel.

On the one hand, my tenure-o-meter always winces whenever I see one of my ideas has already been taken. On the other hand, if I ever get around to organizing the "New Perspectives on the New Anti-Semitism" symposium I keep on running in my mind, an additional candidate for participation has just emerged.

No comments: